Allegheny Rugby Union Referee Society
The Allegheny Rugby Union Referees Society (ARURS) promotes the advancement and enjoyment of the game of rugby by providing qualified volunteer match officials to clubs at all levels within the Allegheny Rugby Football Union and to USA Rugby. The Society recruits and trains referees, helping them achieve their highest potential by offering ongoing assessment and coaching, promoting exchanges and other networking opportunities, and by supporting Territorial and National Panel development.
Become a member of the Allegheny Rugby Union Referees Society
The most important benefit of membership in the Society is your continued enjoyment of the game of rugby. Active members of the Society are eligible for a variety of benefits. An active member is defined as a referee who accepts assignment by the Society to 10 Saturday matches in a calendar year.
- Benefits for active referees are:
- Reimbursement of annual CIPP registration fees paid to USA Rugby
- Law book provided annually
- Society official jersey provided
- Reimbursement of USA Rugby training and certification course fees
- Partial reimbursement of conferences fees, on a case by case basis
- Exchanges (on a case by case basis)
There are two basic requirements for being assigned by the Referees Society to matches:
Pass the USA Rugby Referee Certification Course(s)
Registration with USA Rugby as a Referee through the CIPP program as a member of the ARURS
The Allegheny Rugby Union will reimburse potential referees that fulfill these requirements. Contact Judd Worrall today to learn more about becoming a member of the Allegheny Rugby Union Referees Society.
The primary interaction between Clubs and the Referees Society is the scheduling of referees for club matches. All referee requests must be made the Tuesday preceding the match. The referee society will announce placements by no later than end of business the Thursday prior to the match. For more information on the union’s requesting a referee policy, please go to the Request a Ref Policy.
Match fees are the sole source of revenue for our referees. Referees are volunteers. Many referees do not request reimbursement, but pay out of pocket for their development and additional expenses associated with covering matches.
- The ARURS operates on the following fee structure:
- Match fee structure – The match fee for assigned referees is clubs and Colleges: $80/match
for the same referee assigned to a second match at same location, the charge is $1 per minute.
- Tournament Fee Schedule -Tournament referee fees are calculated at a starting rate of $75 per assigned referee for a half day and $150 per assigned referee for a full day. These rates can be adjusted on a case-by-case basis by the ARURS President for the Host Club. For example, if accommodations and meals are provided a price reduction may be in order. Many members of the Society like to donate their services to their home club for a large tournament. The Society encourages this once per year per referee. Tournaments must be approved by ARU before referees can be assigned.
- Billing and Payment -All payment for referee services are to be made at the conclusion of the match. Failure to make payment will result in suspension of referee appointments until payment is received in full.
Current ARURS Officers:
Judd Worrall – Chairman
John Hogan – Vice President
Jamie Rooney – Treasurer
If you have any questions or issues about how to conduct business with Society, please contact any of the officers listed above!